Closed rhinoplasty is a technique used to correct the appearance of the nose without making an external incision.
Closed rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that is performed to reshape or correct structural abnormalities in the nose through small incisions made inside the nostrils, without leaving any visible scars. Unlike open rhinoplasty, which involves making an incision along the columella, or the skin between the nostrils, closed rhinoplasty is a more conservative approach that results in less trauma and a faster recovery time. Closed rhinoplasty is often used for minor changes to the nose’s shape or structure, such as addressing a small hump or refining the nasal tip. In this article, we will explore the benefits and limitations of closed rhinoplasty, as well as the ideal candidates for this procedure.
What is Closed Rhinoplasty?
Closed rhinoplasty is a technique used to correct the appearance of the nose without making an external incision. This approach is also known as “endonasal” or “internal” rhinoplasty.
During closed rhinoplasty, your surgeon will make small incisions inside your nostrils. Using these incisions, your surgeon will then sculpt the bone and cartilage to change the shape of your nose.
Closed rhinoplasty offers several advantages over open rhinoplasty. First, it leaves no visible scars on the outside of your nose. Second, it allows your surgeon to work on both the bones and cartilage of your nose without having to make an external incision. Finally, closed rhinoplasty surgery often results in less swelling and bruising than open rhinoplasty surgery.
Benefits of a Closed Rhinoplasty Technique
A closed rhinoplasty technique offers many benefits over an open approach. These include:
1. Reduced scarring – because the incisions are made inside the nose, there is no visible scarring on the outside of the nose.
2. Reduced post-operative swelling – because the skin is not lifted off of the underlying bone and cartilage, there is less swelling after surgery.
3. Reduced risk of infection – because the skin is not opened, there is a reduced risk of infection.
4. Maintained Nasal Support – because the bone and cartilage are not removed, the nasal support structure is maintained which can help to avoid future problems with the nose such as a collapsed or deviated septum.
Preparing for a Closed Rhinoplasty Procedure
When you are considering a closed rhinoplasty procedure, your surgeon will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery. It is important to follow these instructions carefully to ensure a successful outcome.
Some tips on how to prepare for a closed rhinoplasty procedure include:
1. Quit smoking at least two weeks before surgery. Smoking can interfere with healing and increase the risk of complications.
2. Avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood-thinning medications for two weeks before surgery. These medications can increase bleeding during and after surgery.
3. Get plenty of rest and eat a healthy diet in the days leading up to your procedure. This will help your body recover more quickly after surgery.
4. Arrange for someone to drive you home from the hospital after your procedure is complete .
5. Follow any instructions your surgeon gives you regarding medications, food, and activity in the days before your procedure.
6. Arrange for a caregiver to help you with daily activities for the first week following surgery. This is essential for proper rest and recovery after a rhinoplasty procedure.
Rhinoplasty, commonly known as a nose job, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves reshaping the nose to improve its appearance and function. The benefits of rhinoplasty are many, and it can be a life-changing procedure for those who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose. Here are some of the top benefits of rhinoplasty:
Improved Appearance: One of the primary benefits of rhinoplasty is an improved appearance. Rhinoplasty can address a variety of concerns, including a hump on the bridge of the nose, a crooked or misshapen nose, and a wide or bulbous tip. By reshaping and refining the nose, rhinoplasty can create a more balanced, symmetrical, and aesthetically pleasing facial appearance.
Increased Self-Confidence: Many people who undergo rhinoplasty report a significant increase in self-confidence following the procedure. A nose that is more proportional and balanced can help individuals feel better about their appearance and more confident in social and professional situations.
Improved Breathing: Rhinoplasty can also improve breathing by correcting structural abnormalities in the nose that cause breathing problems. This can include addressing a deviated septum, reducing nasal congestion, and improving airflow through the nostrils.
Corrects Trauma or Injury: Rhinoplasty can be used to correct the appearance of the nose following trauma or injury. This can include addressing a broken nose or correcting a nasal deformity caused by previous surgical procedures.
Enhanced Quality of Life: By improving both the appearance and function of the nose, rhinoplasty can enhance an individual’s overall quality of life. Many people report feeling more comfortable and confident in their daily lives following rhinoplasty.
Aftercare for a Closed Rhinoplasty Procedure
After you have a closed rhinoplasty procedure, it is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions for aftercare. This will help ensure that you heal properly and avoid complications. Some general things to keep in mind include:
-Resting with your head elevated for the first few days
-Avoiding strenuous activity or exercise for at least a week
-Keeping your head dry and clean, which may mean showering with your head tilted back or using a nasal wash
-Wearing sunglasses when outdoors to protect your nose from the sun
-Using an ice pack on your forehead for 20 minutes at a time to help with swelling and pain
-Taking pain medication as needed , but be careful not to take too much
-Applying ointment to your nose as recommended by your surgeon
-Making follow-up appointments with your surgeon as instructed
In conclusion, closed rhinoplasty can help improve the aesthetics of an individual’s nose without making a noticeable change. The procedure is much less invasive in comparison to open rhinoplasty, but still delivers great results that make it worth considering when looking for cosmetic procedures. If you are debating between closed and open rhinoplasty for your own situation, be sure to consult with professional medical experts who will provide you the best advice on which one is most suitable for you.